7.2.12

Bicycle Bliss!

When I first decided to buy a bicycle in Sydney, 2 years ago, the selection was limited.  Bike shops held much of the same stock and finding a nice dutch-style bike was difficult.  J-bot bought her beautiful Electra from E-bay at that time, and when I was looking none of the bikes really jumped out and screamed "BUY ME"! S-boy and I ended up buying two cheap bicycles on line, as we weren't sure if we would use them enough to warrant the spending.  

Well we used them excessively and then decided to upgrade because bikes had become part of our life.
Last May, I got rid of my car and purchased a beautiful Gazelle Toer Populair with 8 speeds.  I couldn't be happier with my bike, it is beautiful to ride and the service I have recieved from Gazelle Bikes Australia has been excellent.  However I am amazed now, even less than a year after purchasing my beauty, how many new brands of bicycles have come on the scene.  The choice... the variety!

As artist William Morris put it  “Not on one strand are all life's jewels strung.”

The most exciting bike store that has recently opened can not be outdone in terms of the variety of  jewels it contains within.  Even better, the bikes are very reasonably priced due to their loved history.  What do I mean?  Well Omafiets Dutch Bicycles imports second-hand dutch bikes directly from the Netherlands, this means lots of different quality brands that you may have never heard of and won't find anywhere else in Oz.  

Like Omafiets on facebook here.

When it came time for S-boy to upgrade we headed there, even before the official opening.  We were like kids in a candy shop.  So much choice and features to admire and test ride.  We decided on a beautiful Koga Miyata bicycle and bought it there and then.  This is a popular brand in Holland but we had never heard of it.  I rode it home and am pleased to say I beat S-boy home (him leaving at the same time by car)!


So if you are looking for a bike, Omafiets should be on your list to visit. Here are a few of my faves from their current stock...



 
 
 

1 comment:

Alex said...

I love that tandem. I also like how the handlebars are up so high - makes riding so much more comfortable. I just got a folding bike, and it actually has height-adjustable handlebars on it, which makes it just about the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. (Although I think I need to look into getting a chain guard for the sake of my pants)